Monday 18 April 2011

The Ranch Dressing Fixation

What is it with American expats and ranch dressing?  I like a good splodge of ranch just as much as the next person and will choose ranch as my dip of choice for french fries, mozzarella sticks, carrots, pizza crust and just about anything else dippable, but I am continually amazed at how many expats act as if they've lost an arm when they lose the ability to buy ranch dressing at their local grocery store.
Photo: Facebook

Not surprisingly, ranch dressing has been the most popular salad dressing in America since 1992 and can be found in just about any restaurant and any store that sells food of any kind.  An American who has lived in America their whole lives couldn't dare to imagine a day the creamy goodness wasn't readily available... Until they move to the UK....

Here's what happens:   A happy expat gets up the courage to visit his/her local supermarket (as discussed previously here) ready to stock their undersized UK fridge with a few necessities and head to the condiment aisle.  Ketchup? "Check".  Mustard? "Where's the French's bright yellow stuff? That’s ok. I can do without the mustard"   Ranch dressing? ....  Ranch dressing? .....  The salad dressing shelves are nearly bare in comparison to the heaving shelves they are used to in America and there is NO RANCH DRESSING.  Gasp!  Bring on the heaving breathing, the heart palpitations and try not to faint.   Sit down while I tell you that it's true - 99% of grocery stores in the UK will not sell ranch dressing.   Do not panic.  You will survive without it.  And more importantly, it doesn’t make this a bad place because it's natives do not enjoy the fatty (15 grams of fat in 2tbs) creaminess that is ranch dressing.  


My unsolicited advice: You know that saying "when in Rome"?  Well, if you're a recent expat or thinking of making the move, you're in (or will be in) "Rome" now and don't make it harder on yourself by dwelling on the unavailability (is that a word?) of silly things like ranch dressing, or Triscuts, or Paul Newman salad dressing or whatever you're having trouble finding UK. Have a bit of fun trying out local alternatives or if you must have your ranch fix, order it from one of the very many American food vendors (my favourite is this one).  Remember, there is more to life than popular American condiments, no matter how delicious and versatile they may be.

11 comments:

  1. I like the Pizza Express house dressing (I buy it at Tesco). Much tastier than Ranch dressing. But I do have my sister send me the Ranch dressing packets so that I can make up some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have found some OK substitutes here, but nothing like at home. Oh Ranch, you taste good on everything. Oh, and I am jealous ya'll had plain ol regular mustard there. None here :( lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Kris - I actually prefer the Pizza Express house dressing for actual salads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is interesting. I am curious though. She said the aisles were bare. What is popular to put on salads?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about that lovely looking stuff called Salad Creme?! *shivers* I will never put that stuff on my salad. I stick to Paul Newman in the UK and when I'm in the states have been known to stock up on Wishbone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The salad dressing variety is paltry at best. The only one I really like is Waitrose's creamy italian, because it tastes like the creamy italian in the US. I have thrown in the towel trying to find a suitable replacement- there aren't any. The Pizza Express one is OK, but a little too garlicky or something. I either use oil & vinegar, or bring back packets en mass of Hidden Valley ranch packets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am one of those lucky people who have shedloads of ranch - I stock up. I share with other expats who are having a pregnant craving or someone who just needs a pick me up from the US.
    As for Triscuits - they are my holy grail of all sacred food to me - nothing will compare. I make them last but wont go bonkers if I don't have them I just order some online for an insane price if I want them that bad.

    I do love trying all the other things the UK has to offer but sometimes I just prefer a piece of familiarity.

    I will agree some do freak out but you find a *way* or get a new way. I had to do with coffee creamer as I thought I would die without it but now I am the queen of flavored latte's made at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have salad cream to fall back on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just moved to the UK about 2 months ago and experienced the same ranch shock feeling of losing my left arm. I bought the pizza express house dressing thinking it looked simliar... it was horrific. Coming from Ca I'm obsessed with sexy salad and sadly I must concur there are no ranch equivalents or even salad dressing I have found to be decent. I'm thinking this is a good business prospect. We somehow need to move trader joes, souplantation and a hidden valley ranch house to london : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe some people covet their flavors, and to realize that there won't be any of that flavor, more than likely may annoy them. It's the same generalization as a English person visiting America and can't find a bunch of weird variety of tea's.... which many of us see as ridiculous, but I guess an observation is harmless. Also, the fatty Ranch thing, it's always annoying how people forget that some people do exercise and eat health food as well. It's just annoying hearing people vent on how much some foods can be unhealthy. Since, many of it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to use the wonderful 'fatty' Buttermilk Ranch on my salads and I crave it a lot, when I first got to England I thought 'oh I'll live,' in fact I found this great honey mustard dressing here which is more like a vinaigrette than what Americans are used to but it got me through for a while... problem is I find lately with the stress of school work rising I just want ranch on my salad or carrot sticks and ranch... I actually end up snacking on chips (UK translation: Crisps) instead, So I have decided to make my own, or as close as I can... You know I think the biggest thing I miss are proper Dill Pickles sigh. :-) I try not to think about these things though. On the up side, there are also things that are done much better here as well, in an ideal world we would be able to take the things we love of each area and create our own little civilization... that would be great. :-) Thanks for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete