Wednesday 15 August 2012

Me, Me, Me

Am I the only one who hates blogs that read like diaries?

Sadly, I'm starting to think I am which is why I've gone off blogging for awhile.  I only tell you this because I had an amusing comment left a few weeks ago that said  "Your blog is pretty good, but you suck because you can't be bothered to write more than every now and again. I won't be reading again."  I'm taking it as a compliment because frankly I'm desperate for compliments.

I've done some traveling, I've been to a few Olympic events, had some drinks with a few Royals, got a fancy invite to the exclusive-ish Ivy Club, but really, no one wants to read about me.  Why can't other bloggers figure this out?  Every other blog I "follow" at the moment is so self-absorbed rather than informational, inspirational or even humorous that I really can't be bothered.

Examples?  Here are the two most common.  Surely, you all know blogs like these: 


Dear Diary, 

Today Fred and I woke up at 5:00am to go somewhere. We went there and ate some lunch. {insert detail after mind-numbing detail of your day here}.  Tomorrow we'll go somewhere else. We're so interesting!

Love, Me. 

OR ...

Dear Diary, 

My baby pooped again.  He's so cute.  Here's another photo.

Love, Me


So, to the man who will never read my 'pretty good' blog again because I can't be bothered to write often enough, I do apologise. Maybe you're an awkward sod like me and will understand my backwards protest. I'll try better, but will not resort to writing about my daily activities.  That's what facebook is for. (duh).

3 comments:

  1. I try to mix it up. Information posts, humour posts, personal posts...

    I don't have a problem with diary blogs - yes, some aren't so good, but others I enjoy.

    My problems is more with the impersonal info. When it was the Royal Wedding, for instance, lots of people just put up photos they'd copied from newspapers with virtually no words or personal commentary to accompany them. I don't see what the point of that is - I can read the newspaper myself for that! :-)

    Likewise for posting just pop videos, or blogs that are purely links to other places.

    At the end of the day, I appreciate some degree of effort, a personal viewpoint, and a little variation over time. Original photos and videos are also appreciated by me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, blogs started out as personal diaries and then they grew into blogs like mine that provide information and into business blogs as well. However, it's your blog and like I told someone who complained to me about my content yesterday, what you put on your blog is your business. If people don't like it they should just move on and find another blog to read. Why do they have to leave snarky comments? It's what I do. If I don't like a blog, I unfollow it. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely feel your anger on that. It's why I dip in and out of my blog. If there's nothing interesting to write, why bother writing? Oh well, I bet you'll enjoy your latest trip to x food joint in y undisclosed location in London. :)

    ReplyDelete