Monday 17 January 2011

Can you keep a secret?

Seriously, can you keep a secret?  If not, stop reading this instant (yeah, right as if you would)...

Here's the secret: I (well, my husband actually) have found real (Americanized) Mexican food in London.  None of this Wahaca stuff or this "modern Mexican" tapas type junk that seems to be cropping up everywhere, but the stuff I am used to back home.  I'm talking free chips and (super good!) salsa on your table the second you sit down and enchiladas with cheese and onion, smothered with red sauce and cheese, served with rice and refried beans on the side.  I don't like tequila, but rumour has it, they have fantastic margaritas as well.

Now, I know I have switched geographical alliances from Mexico in Bangladesh, but after a long disappointing search this delicious find still thrilled me beyond belief, earned my husband major bonus points and definitely wins the LadyLiberty award for best Mexican-ish food in Southern England (who knows what they have "up there" in the North).

I went back and forth deciding if I should mention this on the blog since, well...basically,  I'm selfish and like to keep good discoveries to myself, but since I only have 30 readers, let's consider it a perk of being one.  I haven't even told my Facebook "friends" since I don't really like most of them. (oh yeah, that's a secret too, ok?)

The place is: Cafe Pacifico near Covent Garden (down a small side street away from most of the tourists).

Tell only who you must - the restaurant is small and busy and we don't want to create extra wait time for ourselves do we?

7 comments:

  1. The servings are small but tasty. And the margaritas *are* top notch. None of that radio-active green ooze margarita mix used. Real limes for them. I went La Perla (Covent Garden venue) restaurant on a Tuesday and happy hour was all night happy hour. Score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm maybe we should try it in 60 days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are really stretching my secret-keeping capabilities! We don't head to Covent Garden often, but hope to go there real soon now :) I'll keep this nugget off my blog - my lips are sealed. Pinkie promise - XOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I like your new blog wallpaper :) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Laura. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boss (who is also American) told me about this place! I haven't gone yet but now that I know it's got your seal approval too, I must. yum yummu yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree- this is the best in London! Although the best burrito is definitely in N London. We go there often and I can't stand Wahaca.

    ReplyDelete